HEIDI KRISTOFFER: BEAUTY INSIDE & OUT
What are your three favorite yoga poses that help you to start your day off right?
SUCH a great question!! In the morning, I NEED:
1. Twists so that my spine can find its way back to alignment in case I wound up in a less than ideal sleeping position over the course of the night. I prefer a twisting kriya to a static pose like a seated spinal twist, but both work.
2. Shoulder opening kriya: reaching arms up over head and long on an inhale, back down to shoulder height in front on exhale, arms wide at shoulder height on inhale, back to in front on exhale, start over. I prefer this to be a fast breath of fire (sharp inhales and exhales through the nose connecting breath to movement).
3. Skandasana to open my hips / groin / legs.
What are your best tips to make health and wellness simple and accessible to everyone?
Baby steps! Rome wasn't built in a day, and changes don't happen overnight.
1. Start with drinking one more glass of water each day, per week, until you are fully hydrated.
2. Pay attention to how the foods you eat make you feel, and get rid of all the ones that don't allow you to feel energized.
3. Get on apps like my CrossFlow Yoga app! Most have at least a free one week trial, my app has a free two week trial. So, if you don't like it, you can cancel with no payments. Plus, the yearly fees on most apps are less than one month of a gym membership, and you never need to leave your house and / or worry about getting sick, think of all the time and money you will save, and how much better you will feel! So simple, so accessible!
What advice do you have for mother’s trying to prioritize their health and wellness in quarantine?
1. Take care of yourself!! Make sleep a priority. I KNOW how hard that is, but do your best to have everything you need DONE by the time you put your kiddos to bed. That way, you can unwind, and get ample sleep.
2. DO NOT eat your children's food scraps! DO NOT. They are not satisfying. SIT DOWN when you eat. I know. It's challenging, but if you can bring humans into this world, you can figure out how to eat sitting down.
3. Get on an app! My CrossFlow Yoga app has routines geared towards mamas! And many apps (like mine) offer varied lengths of videos to do. I have everything from 5 minutes to 60. So, however much time you have, FIT IN movement!
4. DECIDE your health and wellness are a priority. What you prioritize gets time. Time won't appear. SCHEDULE your movement every day, and PLAN your meals to include healthy nutrients.
5. Oxygen mask. If you don't put it on first, you will pass out trying to put them on your children. Same goes for wellness and health. If you do not put your health and wellness first, you will not be able to care for your children.
How have you managed to stay positive in the last few months?
Have I?! Unclear... Just kidding! I have put my focus on daily movement, eating what makes me feel good, spending device-free time with my children (*I think the device-free time connecting with other humans has been critical here*), and SLEEP. As someone who has not always been the best about prioritizing sleep, this has been a GAME CHANGER! Of course, I leave lots and lots of time for snuggles with my babies. I also have kept my heart and ears open during this time, and have focused on creating content for my app that my community desperately needs. Since I upload a minimum of two new videos to my app every week, I have been able to create content appropriate for what my members need in real time. Nothing makes my heart happier than being able to HELP people, and I have been focusing on that as much as is possible.